On Thursday night around 2315, Station 6-1 was dispatched to a lot at 45 Mantua Grove Rd the White Swan Trailer Park for Carbon Monoxide Detector activation. 613 arrived and spoke with a resident who reported her alarm went off for about 2 minutes then stopped. Crews entered the residence with meters and immediately began recording levels of co ranging between 30-45 ppm (parts per million). Appliances in the residence were checked with no obvious leaks, propane to the residence was secured. crews mechanically ventilated the residence for approx 20 mins, and rechecked with negative readings. No injuries or illness were reported at the time of this incident, and the scene was turned over to the owner and property management.
With the Fall and Winter months upon us our response for CO related calls are going to increase, educate yourself today about the dangers of CO poisoning today! Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide. See the below flyer for more information from the NFPA about CO.