First Meeting l 23 May, 1910
The first meeting to form the fire company was held at Wilkins Hall. The name "Thorofare Fire Company #1" was picked, and a committee was formed to create the by-laws, and the following were elected into office.
- Mr. Gus Truneer- President
- Mr Chas Budd - Vice President
- Mr. Carl Davis - Secretary
- Mr. Leslie Gibbs - Treasurer
First Chicken Supper l August, 1910
During the Months of July and August several meetings were held to organize the first carnival and chicken supper. The carnival was held at the center of town and the supper inside of Wilkins Hall, the proceeds were to be put towards a new fire wagon.
First Equipment Comittee l January, 1911
The first equipment committee was formed January 10, 1911 to seek the purchase of ladders and buckets. The committee agreed to purchase the following.
- 2 dozen buckets
- 3 one-gallon fire extinguishers
- 1 30-foot extension ground ladder
- 1 36-foot extension ground ladder
- 1 scaling ladder
First Officers and other Elections l 17 March, 1911
The following members were elected into office
- Mr. William McGill - Chief
- Mr. William Armbuster - Assistant Chief
- Mr. Harrison Chew - Foreman
- Mr. T. Wood Wyne - Captain of Police
- Mr. Harry DeHart - Trustee
- Mr. J. Wilmer Leonard - Trustee
- Mr. Chas Wilkins - Trustee
Planning for the First Fire House l 25 April, 1911
The school board offered to lease a building and lot for fifteen years at $1 a year. Mr Wyne offered to donate a lot on the back of Church St for the fire company, with the understanding that the fire company would pay for the surveying and deed. The lot measured 50' x 150'. The company accepted Mr. Wyne's offer. The dimensions of the building were to be 24 x 40 and not to exceed the cost of $1500. Construction began in September of 1911.
The First Fire Wagon l 23 April, 1912
A motion was passed to pay $15 for a fire wagon
Building Completed l 11 June, 1912
It was reported that all bills had been settled, a mortgage had been established and insurance was put on the new fire house. The building was deemed complete.
At the same meeting a member was appointed to form a ladies auxiliary.
First Oyster and Chicken Supper l September, 1912
The third chicken supper was organized for September 27th and 28th. This supper was the first to include oysters.
Incorporation of TFVC l March 24, 1913
Incorporation papers for The Thorofare Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 signed.
Fire District Boundries l March 24, 1913
Fire district boundaries formed. Starting at the mouth of the Mantua Creek down the creek to Salem Pike (Kings Highway), down Salem pike to Reeves Branch, Reeves branch to the Woodbury Creek, along the Woodbury Creek to the River and down the River back to the mouth of the Mantua Creek.
Township Comittee l April 8, 1913
It was reported that the fire company was now recognized under the control of the West Deptford Township Committee.
State Reilief Association l April 11, 1913
Members organized to join the State Relief Association. Electing a board of representatives to the State and Delegates to the State Firemen’s Association.
The delegates attended their first association meeting September 11, 1913 in Atlantic City.
Ladies Auxiliary l September 30, 1913
Ladies who assisted at the 1913 carnival were invited to the meeting to thank them for their assistance with the carnival a success. A motion was passed to organize the Ladies Auxiliary of the Thorofare Volunteer Fire Company. The following ladies were elected to these officer positions:
- Mrs. C. W. Wilkins – President
- Mrs. Harrison Chew – Vice President
- Mrs. Charles Babcock – Secretary
County Firemns Association l June 23, 1914
Thorofare Joined the County firemen’s Association at a meeting in Woodbury.
First Automobile Fire Apparatus l December 1915
- December 14, 1915 A committee was formed to ask the West Deptford Township Committee for $2500 for automobile. No further records found on this matter.
- April 11, 1916 A committee was appointed to purchase an automobile chassis and consider ways to secure funds.
- May 23, 1916 The committee reported the price of the chassis to be $500, and the truck was taken to have fenders put on with an estimated total cost $725.
- June 13, 1916 Benjamin Green and York Phila. lettered the fire truck.
- July 25, 1916 First motorized fire truck arrived painted with tanks on and charged ready for fire. The committee to continue work on the truck and raising funds.
- October 10, 1916 The committee turned the automobile over to the company, which was accepted by the president Joseph T. Carter, and the committee was thanked for their work.
- The committee raised approx. $400 during the process of building the apparatus.
New By-Laws Adopted l 24 April, 1917
New by-laws were adopted as amended, these by laws would take effect July 1, 1917. 100 copies were made of the by-laws and handed out to each member of the company.
Tool Committee l 22 May, 1917
A committee was formed to purchase the necessary tools for the fire truck.
Six Carins Helmets l April 25, 1933
The purchase of 6 Cairns Helmets and 2 small lights, paid for by the Township for a total of $57.00.
Purchase of Hose, Nozzles and Adapter l October 23, 1934
The following equipment was purchased by the company for $29.04
- 200 feet of woven leader line 1 1/2"
- Siamese connection 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"
- Nozzle for a 1 1/2"
Matteos Junk Yard Fire l February 1967
Chief Mansfield reported that members of Thorofare spent over 296 hours assisting Verga Fire Company with a fire at Matteos Junk Yard.
New Firehouse l 1968
- March 14th 1961 – Discussions were started about extending the old firehouse to the rear. A building committee and fund was started
- March 13th 1962 – It was discussed that it would cost $400 - $500 to have the land surveyed and deed made out, the committee at this time was advised to go out and check if there is and ground available for a reasonable price.
- March 27th 1962 - The building committee suggested it is best to build on our own property.
- July 24th 1962 - President Schutlz read the specifications for the new building.
- March 26th 1963 - R. Fanslau reported that the old Wagners Garage is for sale and the committee was instructed to see if it could be converted to fit the companies needs. The committee decide against purchasing this building.
- January 28th 1964 - Building committee and members to go to township meeting on February 6th looking to purchase land from the township. The township later requested a drawing and formal letter requesting the building.
- September 12th 1965 - Steel beams purchased for new firehouse through the Manck Company and came out of the old Halloway Lumber building.
- January 10th 1967 - A contract with architect Charles S. Cole of Woodbury was approved and signed.
- February 28th 1967 - The plans for new building on Grove Ave. were approved by the township. They agreed to build a road from Grove Ave. to the firehouse, to be continued all the way to Crown Point Road later.
- March 28th 1967 - The architect provided a cost breakdown for the building with total cost $33,610.
- June 27th 1967 - The old firehouse was sold to a Mr. Wagner for $60,000.
- November 3rd 1967 - Oakview builders was approved the contract for the construction of the masonry.
- December 10th 1967 - Ground Breaking.
- February 29th 1968 - One wall of the firehouse collapsed during construction due to high winds (see photo below).
- July 1968 - Public Service to install two poles for siren and complete electric service.
- October 1968 - The membership and apparatus were moved into the new building, and the sale of the old building was completed.
1970 GMC Boardman l April 1 1969
- April 1st 1969 – Plans to purchase a new truck
- June 10th 1969 - Members agreed to purchase a GMC, Boardman with a 750 GPM pump from Goodfellows.
- July 1st 1969 - The bank approved the full amount for the truck of $17,138, delivery to be in 250 days.
- March 6th 1970 - The truck arrived on time and a housing and parade was scheduled for May 16 1970.
Township Garage Fire l August 21 1970
Thorofare and Greenfields were dispatched at 2:10 am for a fire at the township garage. The two alarm fire destroyed the township garage ad all the vehicles inside. The damage was estimated around $500,000. Three firefighters were injured during the fire with minor injuries and transported to Underwood Hospital in Woodbury. Equipment lost in the fire included a street sweeper, a new dump truck, a street roller, a truck for mosquito control, combination back hoe and front loader, and other equipment used by the township roads department.
Additon to the Building l April 1975
April 1975, construction began on an addition to extend the firehouse forward and out one side of the building. The cost of the addition was approximately $46,000.
Sunoco Refinery Tank Fire l July, 2007
Late Afternoon on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 a fire broke out at the Sunoco Eagle Point refinery in the Verga section of town after lightening struck an oil storage tank. 1.5 Million gallons of a gasoline blending chemical ignited and sent a smoke plum in the air that could be seen over 8 miles away. Crew members responded to the tank fire just after clearing a shed fire in town. The fire struck 4 alarms eventually being called under control approximately 4 hours later.
100 Years of Service l June, 2010
On Saturday, June 19, 2010 the Thorofare Volunteer Fire Company held their centennial celebration honoring 100 years of service to the Township of West Deptford. Ceremonies were held honoring the members of Thorofare, which included a proclamation from the Township Mayor and Committee that still hangs up in the fire house day room. Festivities were held which included food, drink, music and games for the kids.
Squad 613 l April, 2019
April of 2019 Thorofare Fire Company put the new Seagrave Marauder II into service as Squad 613. On June 1st (6-1) the members and community members celebrated the housing of the new apparatus. Squad 613 is a Seagrave on a Marauder II chassis with a 16" raised crew cab roof. Behind the chassis is a 2000 GPM Waterous pump and the stainless steel rescue body. The squad is utilized as a first out piece to all rescues as well as structure fires.
Below is Chief Brian Golle as well as Mayor Denise Dicarlo during the housing ceremony.
West Deptford Fire Department I May, 2021
May 1 2021 the transition of the West Deptford Fire Department begun. The new officers took over all fire ground responsibilities and the hiring process continues for part time firefighters. The township committee as well as well as the emergency services council begun the process to transition the 4 fire companies in West Deptford to the West Deptford Fire Department back in September of 2020. With the new department will bring unity to the 4 companies.
Below is the List of the first officers to serve as the West Deptford Fire Department
South Station - Chief Dave Rasso
Deputy Chief Wayne Fanslau
Captains Rich St. Petery, Justin Rieger
Lieutenants Marykate McGlinn-Palo, Brendan Gill, Shawn Fanslau
North Station - Chief AJ Ferriola
Captain Mike Golding